Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

Barr Lake Park in Infrared

In infrared photography, the film or image sensor used is sensitive to infrared light. The part of the spectrum used is referred to as near-infrared to distinguish it from far-infrared, which is the domain of thermal imaging. Wavelengths used for photography range from about 700 nm to about 900 nm.

As I write this, my local supermarket is putting up Halloween displays, which means only one thing: The end of infrared photography season is around the corner. And while I have written that you can shoot infrared in the Winter, it doesn't have the same look or anyway the look I prefer. In the Northern Hemisphere, Fall starts on September 22, so less than a month from now the leaves on trees in my favorite infrared shooting areas will start to disappear. So I'm urging all the infrared photography fans reading this to get out this week, this weekend and make some shots while leaves are still on deciduous trees.

Before moving to Daisy Hill and being able to walk to Bingham Lake, one of my favorite places to shoot outdoor portraits as well as infrared photography was at Barr Lake State Park, which entailed a five mile drive form my former home, which is where I made the above photograph.

Proving that timing is everything, this shot was made in Barr Lake State Park in October, the day be fore a big snowstorm was due to blow most of those leaves away. Camera was a EOS Digital Rebel Xti that had been converted to infrared-only capture by LifePixel and a Zeiss 18mm Distagon T* f/3.5 lens with an exposure of 1/125 at f/16 and ISO 400. It was converted to monochrome by Silver Efex Pro with a warm tone added by its coffee filter.

IR.book

My book, The Complete Guide to Digital Infrared Photography is currently out-of-print but copies are available from Amazon starting at $19.95, as I write this. Creative Digital Monochrome Effects has a chapter on IR photography and is available from Amazon with new copies under $10 and used copies selling for $2.55 (plus shipping) one of the bets book deals out their for what is my personal favorite book.

Related


Source: Barr Lake Park in Infrared

No comments:

Post a Comment