Pages

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

21 beautiful reader photos of North East monuments

We asked keen photographers in the region to send us their pick of the pictures they are proudest of - and here is a collection featuring the best manmade landmarks, sculptures, monuments and buildings in Newcastle and the North East region.

There are so many beautifully designed buildings and sculptures to choose from. Many of the submissions we had were of photographers' favourites including the Angel of the North, Tommy in Seaham and Penshaw Monument.

The photographs were taken by a variety of people including students, teachers, nurses and a retired RAF engineer and you can read all about them below. Thank you to everyone who submitted photographs. Please note that we aren't accepting any more submissions for Take Your Pic at present.

Here is a little about each of the photographers who are featured in the video.

HELEN BRAIN: Snowdog at the Sage

I am 38 and married. Apart from photography, I absolutely love yoga! I like taking photos of Newcastle city centre , as I live there and I get lots of opportunities to capture the city at its best. I also love to take photos of the seaside and countryside in the North East. At the moment I only have an iPhone to take photos with, but one day I'd like to get a real camera.

BOBBY WHITE: Seaham Tommy

Hi, my name's Bobby White from Sunderland . I'm 45 years old, a father of two beautiful boys and a husband of one beautiful wife. My full-time job is the campaign manager for a leading contact centre and order fulfilment company. My main area of photography is landscapes and popular places in the North East. I have also photographed a few events and dabbled in portrait photography.

LIAN KIRTON: Angel of the North

Hi I'm Lian, I'm 29 originally from Sunderland, now living in Blyth . I took on photography around a year ago as a hobby. Other than photography, I run my own pet care business. My other hobby is playing guitar! I like to take landscape pictures particularly of the interesting weather we get! I love how photography can capture the beauty in something you can miss just walking by. I think the North East has some amazing landmarks to photograph.

Read More

BETH ABBOTT: The Lit & Phil

Hello! I'm a 37-year-old currently living in Hexham , but originally from Newcastle. I live with my partner Darren, kids - Lauren, 13, Daniel, 11, and our dog Tot the Boston Terrier!

I work as a staff nurse at St Oswald's Hospice in Gosforth and really love my job. Outside of work I have a real passion for photography and just love to get out and about taking photos, especially around the North East as there really are some fantastic spots to capture.

My other interests are gardening, swimming and yoga. Happy days.

JOANNE SHEARS: In the distance, Lindisfarne Priory, Northumberland

I am a 36-year-old dog lover who competes in flyball with my two rescue border collies. A regular camper who loves the great outdoors and makes tea bags for a living. All pictures are off my mobile phone as I don't own my own camera yet. My pictures feature the countryside and my dogs are my favourite subject. It's a perfect mix.

MICK RAY: Queen Victoria - South Shields Town Hall

I'm a retired ex-RAF electronics engineer aged 70, although in the later years I travelled the North East teaching students how to build and repair computers. I am married with two grown-up children and three grandchildren. My hobbies include reading, computers, and electronics. I don't have any favourite photographic subjects, but lately I have been concentrating on Infrared images. The colours are distorted, especially anything green, which appears as white in the images. This naturally favours landscapes, with trees as the prominent feature.

Queen Victoria - South Shields Town Hall by Mick Ray of South Shields (Image: UGC TNE)

PAUL HOOD: The bandstand in Exhibition Park

I am a 56-year-old married man with two younger children and two adult children. As a primary teacher I don't have time for many hobbies other than photography. I started getting properly interested in photography a couple of years ago and I have taken a number of courses with Newcastle adult education. I am still finding an area that I like so am snapping whatever I can, although I do like architecture.

MATT WALKER: Tommy - Seaham

I'm 30 years old, recently married to the lovely Beth and work as the videographer for Nissan. I get to travel with work, which is fantastic as travel and the outdoors are my favourite things. During the weekends I'm either in Northumberland , the Lake District, Yorkshire or Scotland. I'm a huge fan of the cinema and I am also obsessed with Roman history. Landscape is the area I focus on. I love to get out first thing and enjoy the calm, quiet sunrises. I love the Northumbrian coastline. Closer to home I shoot St Mary's Lighthouse, Old Hartley and all the beaches south of Tynemouth. The English Lake District is just on the doorstep and I look to get over as often as possible as it's too beautiful to miss out on!

SARAH BLUNT: Lighthouse

I love to go out walking with my husband and son - he calls them adventure days. We go all over the North East and especially love the coast. I love to try and capture my son when he doesn't realise and I love the Northumberland coastline.

Read More

REBECCA PARKER: This was the first photo I took with a SLR camera on a quick trip to Roker

I am aged 22 and I am currently training to be a primary school teacher. I recently moved in with my fiancé and our pet dog, with whom we go on varying walks.

My alternative hobbies includes horse riding once week, going to the cinema and reading. I have quite recently started to develop an interest in history.

I enjoy taking photos of a variety of objects but love images of monuments and macro shots which are full of detail. I also enjoy taking pet portraits because of the connection which people have with their animals. I occasionally do some portrait photography but this is normally with a specific theme in mind. Furthermore, I really like it when my photos are natural with little need to be edited.

JOHN ROBINSON: Central Station

Hi, I am 28, I work in office admin. At weekends I love to spend time with my son who keeps me on my feet. My hobbies include following football and UFC and, of course, editing and taking photos.

DAREN PHILLIPS: The demolition of the flats at Cruddas Park, March 2012

I am 49 years old, married with four fantastic children. Our 18-year-old twins are off to university and our younger two boys are 10 and 11.

I am assistant restaurant manager at Dobson & Parnell on Queen Street in Newcastle's vibrant Quayside. I enjoy reading, cooking, improving my knowledge of wines as well as taking part in Taekwondo with my children.

I enjoy landscape photography and hope one day to compile a portfolio of the castles of Northumberland.

The demolition of the flats at Cruddas Park, March 2012 - Daren Phillips of Throckley (Image: UGC TNE)

PARIS ELSENDER: South Shields Town Hall

I am 23 years old and I work in a fast food restaurant. I like to go out with friends and go to old buildings. I like taking photos around Newcastle and of different buildings.

KEVING ASH: Sage lights - The Sage

I'm married with one daughter. I'm 46 and I enjoy reading. I like to photograph landscape and horror-style photoshoots.

WENDY PEARSON: Cathedral in Newcastle

I'm Wendy and I am 43 years old. I'm married and have three cats and two rabbits. I'm an assistant manager for Greggs and also do voluntary work at Brysons Animal Shelter. Animals are my passion and I like to visit zoos and wildlife parks. I mainly photograph animals, which are my passion.

JOHN TURNER: It's Baltic!

I'm 37 and live in North Shields . I enjoy camping, walking, swimming and cycling. I enjoy taking photos of landscapes, night photography and long exposure. You don't see too many pictures of people.

Read More

DAVID ROGERS: Penshaw Monument

I'm 49, have a partner and a daughter who is 17. I'm also a keen sea angler. I love to take pictures of urban and country landscapes around the North East of England.

PAMELA KARAGEORGIOU: Newcastle from Tyne Bridge

I am Pamela, Greek South African with a passion for photography! My camera is always with me! I am 57 and live in Gateshead with my son. I have a daughter and I am an official member of the *grandmother club*. I have two adorable felines, if I could have it my way I would have at least a dozen, crazy cat lady, oh, and owls, I love owls too! I like to capture random sights I see, people being my favourite, animals, trees and flowers! I love clouds and sunsets, and the moon too. My camera is always in my bag!

DAREN KNOTTS: Hardwick Park

I love the outdoors and walking, I try to do it as much as possible. I'm married with a one-year-old boy who will hopefully love the outdoors too. Places and family are my main interests.

Hardwick Park - Daren Knotts of Heworth (Image: UGC TNE)

MARION WILLIAMS: Emerson Chambers

I live in Newcastle but work in Edinburgh. I will be 60 this year, but no retirement, thanks to the government changes in pension age! I have two grown-up sons, one in Newcastle and the other where I was born, Tunbridge Wells. I'm an NUFC fan, following the team wherever they go. I miss the European adventures. I like landscapes and urban environment. Place is so important to our culture and wellbeing.

BRENT MARCH: Monument

I am a 19-year-old musician from Northumberland. As well as investing most my time into music, whilst travelling I like to do various short films and take as many pictures as possible with my Canon 700D (various lenses) and my iPhone. Mostly landscapes and scenery. My favourite place to photograph is the Lake District. I have so many photos of the lakes and whether it's summer or winter, sunny or cloudy it always looks beautiful.

Thank you again to everyone who submitted photographs. We will be creating more themed collections in the coming weeks.


Source: 21 beautiful reader photos of North East monuments

No comments:

Post a Comment